WSL Dream Job: the fine print
The "WSL Dream Job” is designed to give one successful applicant a once in a lifetime opportunity to work as the “Ambassador, Stoke and Leisure (2017)” for the Association of Surfing Professionals LLC d/b/a World Surf League (“WSL”) for a period of 6 (six) weeks, between November 12, 2017 – December 20, 2017, to enjoy sun, sand, surf and social media opportunities, the “WSL Dream Job”! Here's how it works:
1. Eligibility: In order to be eligible to be considered for the WSL Dream Job, you:
- Must be over 21 (twenty-one) years of age;
- Must be available to travel to Oahu, Hawaii on or around November 11, 2017 and stay there until December 20, 2017;
- Must be able to speak and write in English;
- Must be authorized to live and work in the United States, or be eligible to obtain the required authorization. You will be required to furnish documents to verify your eligibility and your appointment is contingent upon such verification;
- Must not have ever been convicted of a crime;
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license that permits you to drive a rental car, including one hired by WSL for you, in Hawaii (documentary evidence will be required);
- Must not have ever acted in a manner that will bring the WSL into disrepute, in WSL’s sole judgment; and
- Must not be a party to any exclusive contractual or other commitment that would be breached by accepting the WSL Dream Job.
Residents of the following countries are not eligible to apply: Cote D’Ivoire, Crimea, Cuba, Eritrea, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Liberia, Myanmar, North Korea, Republic of Congo, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. This job offer is void where prohibited. Further, residents of other countries, or states are not eligible to apply should this job be deemed to violate certain laws or regulations in such jurisdictions as determined by WSL at any time. WSL reserves the right to verify the eligibility of the successful applicant.
2. Ambassador, Stoke & Leisure (2017): The contract is for a short-term placement at WSL’s Hawaiian office for a period of 6 (six) weeks only during the 2017 Triple Crown of Surfing events between November and December 2017. The successful applicant will be a social media influencer who must be committed, ethical and comfortable on and off camera. You will work closely with WSL’s marketing and social media teams to create content around the Triple Crown of Surfing events, and other surfing competitions taking place during your stay in Hawaii, on life in Hawaii, and Hawaiian culture.
3. Application to Ambassador- The Route:
Submitting the Application:
- You may apply to be Ambassador Stoke & Leisure (2017) by going to the Application Page between 9 a.m. P.S.T. on September 7, 2017 and 11:59 p.m. P.S.T. on September 30, 2017 and providing all information requested and submitting a video that meets the submission requirements available on the Application Page (Video Submissions: Terms and Conditions). Your complete application must be received by 11:59 p.m. P.S.T. on September 30, 2017 to be considered for the position. By submitting your application, you agree that the information provided by you is true and correct to the best of your knowledge and without consequential omissions of any kind.
- A team at WSL from the Social Media, Marketing and HR departments shall review all the applications (including the videos) received based on the quality and creativity of the video, the applicant’s social media experience, applicant’s social media presence and knowledge of surfing. WSL shall create a shortlist of eligible candidates, which shall be no less than 3 (three) and no more than 10 (ten) (the “Top Dreamers”). WSL reserves the right to contact you to arrange and conduct an interview by telephone or skype/facetime sometime between September 30, 2017 and October 7, 2017 if it requires any further information or clarification with regard to your application. WSL has no obligation to contact or otherwise inform any applicant who was selected to be amongst the Top Dreamers at any time or who was unsuccessful in their application.
- The Top Dreamers will be notified via the email address provided on their application on or after October 7, 2017 that they have been selected by WSL to go through to the next round, the public vote.
- Videos submitted by the Top Dreamers (the “Top Videos) will be posted on the Application Page between October 10, 2017 and October 22, 2017 for public voting via Facebook Likes, subject to terms and conditions of voting stated by WSL at the time of voting. The public vote will be one of the criteria used by WSL to narrow their search for the Ambassador, Stoke & Leisure 2017 and determine the top 3 (three) finalists (the “Final Three”).
- For the avoidance of doubt, please note that this is a job search and not a game of skill or chance. The public vote does not solely determine the Final Three. WSL reserves the right to take the outcome of the vote into account in its selection process but it will not be determinative and the results of the public vote are non-binding on WSL.
- Candidates are prohibited from obtaining votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to prospective voters, as determined by WSL in its sole discretion. Use of “dummy” accounts, script, macro or any fraudulent or automated system to vote or with the intent to impair the integrity of the voting process is prohibited and all such votes will be void. WSL reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to nullify all votes obtained via such means and to disqualify candidates who are associated from further voting.
- The Final Three shall each go through an interview process with executives at WSL to determine which of the Final Three is the most suitable candidate for Ambassador, Stoke & Leisure (2017). The final decision as to who shall win the WSL Dream Job resides solely in the discretion of the WSL.
- 1 (One) successful candidate shall be notified on or around October 27, 2017 to pack their bags and head on over to Hawaii!
Before you head to the airport though…some more important information about the placement:
4. Placement Information:
- If you are successful, you will be notified via e-mail (sent to the email account listed in your application) and you will be required to respond (as directed) to the notification attempt. The failure to respond timely (within 5 (five) days of receipt of the email) to the notification may result in the offer being rescinded and in such case WSL shall have the right to select an alternate Ambassador, Stoke and Leisure 2017.
- You agree that you will be required to execute and return a notarized affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release (where legally permissible) and enter into an independent contractor agreement with the WSL for the services you shall provide as Ambassador, Stoke and Leisure 2017, as well as any other legal documentation that WSL may require.
- You agree that WSL is not obliged to make an offer to any applicant unless such applicant is verified as required above, and unless such applicant satisfies the criteria for selection that WSL, in its sole discretion, shall apply. WSL shall not be held liable if an offer made to you is subsequently rescinded or terminated because of false statements, answers or omissions made in the application or in an interview with WSL personnel, if any.
- You agree that the post of Ambassador, Stoke and Leisure 2017 is a short-term, time-bound placement only. You will not be considered a WSL employee and will not be entitled to any of the benefits offered to WSL employees. This is not a full-time position and will not lead to full time employment. WSL has made no express or implied representations or inducements as to any employment opportunity with WSL at the end of such placement.
- Any and all applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all fees and expenses related to the placement not specifically stated herein or agreed between you and WSL, including but not limited to, change of air travel fees, ground transportation, automobile insurance, meals, incidentals, passenger tariffs or duties, surcharges, service charges or facility charges, personal charges at lodging, security fees and/or other expenses, are the responsibility solely of the Ambassador. No substitutes, assignments, transfers, or redemptions for cash offered; however, WSL reserves the right to make substitutions at its sole discretion. Only 1 (one) placement is offered.
- In the event an Ambassador engages in behavior during placement that (as determined by WSL) is obnoxious, threatening, illegal, or that is intended to threaten or harass any other person, or that in any way disparages or adversely affects the reputation, image, and/or customer goodwill of WSL or any of WSL’s services, products, trademarks, service marks, or logos, WSL reserves the right to terminate the placement early, and send Ambassador home with no further obligations or compensation whatsoever to Ambassador. In the event Ambassador engages in behavior that (as determined by WSL) is illegal, tortious, or subjects Ambassador to arrest or detention, WSL shall have no obligation to pay any damages, fees, fines, judgments or other costs or expenses of any kind whatsoever incurred by the Ambassador as a result of such conduct. WSL shall have no liability for any personal injuries, death, property damage, or other damages or expenses resulting from or arising out of this placement.
5. General Conditions:
- Submission of an application constitutes your full and unconditional agreement to the terms of the ‘WSL Dream Job: Fine Print’ and to WSL’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters
- Disputes: You agree that any dispute between yourself and WSL arising out of or relating to your application to be the Ambassador, Stoke & Leisure (2017) shall be resolved individually, without resort to any class action; and shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules & Procedures of JAMS, conducted by a sole arbitrator in Los Angeles, California. WSL will pay the arbitrator’s fees and expenses, subject to reallocation by the arbitrator. The State and Federal Courts located in Los Angeles, California shall have sole and exclusive jurisdiction and venue over any disputes arising from this provision or the enforceability thereof. In the event of any dispute between you and WSL, your sole remedy shall be a remedy at law for damages, if any, and in no event, shall you have the right to seek injunctive or equitable relief. The terms of the ‘WSL Dream Job: Fine Print’ are governed by the laws of the State of California and the Federal laws applicable therein, without reference to any choice of law principles.
- Waiver: WSL’s failure to enforce any term herein shall not constitute a waiver of such provision.
- Severability: All provisions of these terms are severable. If any provision is held invalid or unenforceable by an arbitrator or court of competent jurisdiction, such provision shall be deleted from these terms and the terms shall be construed to give full effect to the remaining provisions.
WSL provides equal employment opportunities to all employees, contractors and applicants for employment or contract without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetic information, military or veteran status or any other characteristics protected by applicable, national, federal, state, provincial or local laws. If you need further information or assistance you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.